[Embedded within certain questions] is that our external world is predictive of our happiness levels when in reality when I know everything about your external world I only predict 10% of your long-term happiness.
90% of your long-term happiness is predicted not by the external world but by the way your brain processes the world.
Only 25% of job successes are predicted by IQ.
75% of job successes are affected by your optimization levels, social support, and your ability to see stress as a challenge instead of as a threat.
The absence of disease is not health.
We need to reverse the formula for happiness and success.
Most schools and companies follow the following formula of success:
- if i work harder i’ll be more successful and if im’ more successful i’ll be happier
This is primarily broken for two reasons:
- First, every time your brain has a success you just change the goal post of what success looks like.
- If you got good grades now you have to get better grades.
- If you got a good job, now you have to get a better job.
- if you hit your sales target we’re going to change your sales target.
- If happiness is on the otherside of success your brain never gets there.
We’ve pushed happiness over the cognitive horizon as a society.
If you can raise somebody’s level of positivity in the present then their brain experiences a happiness advantage… Your brain performs better than when it is negative, neutral, or stressed. Your energy levels rise. Your intelligence rises, your creativity rises, your energy rises… every single business outcome improves.
In a 2 minute span of time done in 21 days in a row:
- Write down 3 new things you’re grateful for each dayz
- After 21 days it begins to train your brain
- Journaling a positive experience within the past 24 hours lets your brain re-live it
- Meditation lets your brain get over the cultural ADHD we’ve been creating by trying to do multiple tasks at once
- Random acts of kindness or concious acts of kindness: write one positive email praising or thanking someone in their social support nework
By doing these activities and training your brain you can reverse the formula for happiness and success in doing so not only create ripples of positivity but create a real revolution.
blog comments powered by Disqus